English Language Testing for 457 Visas
The English language requirements for the 457 visa were changed effective 18 April 2015. From this date, an average band score for most of the tests is required, as well as a minimum band score in each component. Previously, a higher minimum score in each band was required.
The required scores for each English test are as follows:
- IELTS – International English Language Testing System: overall average score of 5, with a minimum score of at least 4.5 in each band; or
- OET – Occupational English Test: this is a test for medical and allied health professionals. A “B pass” is required for all 4 components of the OET; or
- TOEFL iBT: total band score of 36, with at least 3 in Listening and Reading and at least 12 in Speaking and Writing; or
- PTE Pearson Test of English (Academic): Average band score of 36, with minimum of 30 in each band; or
- CAE Cambridge English: Advanced: Average band score of 154, with minimum of 147 in each band.